We blog, we bake.
We craft, we create.

Saturday 18 August 2012

Pooh's weekend bakes


Hello there, fancy something nice for the weekend? Here's Pooh's magnificent weekend feast.
First, Millionbears shortbread.
You will need
for the biscuit base
200g plain flour
90g soft brown sugar
65g desiccated coconut
188g unsalted butter, melted, plus a little more for greasing
for the caramel filling
115g golden syrup
Cheat and buy a tin of Carnation caramel, life is too short!
for the chocolate topping
300g good quality chocolate, broken into small pieces, plus extra for those sneaky chomps as you bake!
First, pre heat your oven to 180c. Next, sift the flour and sugar into a food
Pawcessor




Add the coconut and butter and mix together until well combined




It should look something like this, mmm. Oops, don't think I'm supposed to sample it yet!




Next, grease a square baking tin




And line the bottom and the sides with greaseproof paper.




Spread the biscuity mix evenly over the pan and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.




I had some spare biscuit mix, so pressed my bear cutter into it to make bear biscuits.




Once the biscuit base is cooked, pour the tin of caramel over it, and cook for a further 20 minutes.




Leave this to cool completely, then melt the chocolate, and pour it over the caramel, smoothing gently over the top of it. Allow the slab to set before removing it from the tin and cutting into slices. I think we'll manage to cut this into 4 maybe, bears have big appetites.
My next feast item is quiche.
Now, Wilbear is always making and freezing pastry, so I thawed out a wodge, and rolled it out and into a loose bottomed tin




I added some baking parchment on top of my uncooked pastry, and filled with baking beans so my pastry didn't rise. This was cooked in the oven for around 15 minutes.




I then chopped some suitable quichy ingredients, ham, spring onions, orange pepper, and mushrooms




And started to layer the quiche.




I then whisked 3 free range eggs with a little milk - do you like our whisk? We have all the best tools - and added these to the quiche, which was then cooked in a preheated (200c) oven, for 20 minutes.




Once cooled, I cut the quiche, ready to serve for a bears' tea party.




Hold on, there's a slice missing, I'll be watching to see who turns up for the tea party with a crumby moustache!
Anyway, I had leftover pastry, so decided to make tarts. For this I needed to re roll my pastry and cut out rings with the large pastry cutter




Which I then filled, two with raspberry jam, and two with Horace and Spider-Bear's lovely lemon curd.




I baked my tarts for around 15 minutes, until the filling was bubbly, and the pastry was turning golden brown.
Here are my tarts and bear biscuits




What a feast we'll have, anyone coming for tea?

Oh, and if you're stuck for something to do this weekend, why not try our second literbeary challenge, which can be found By pressing your paw here . It's a just for fun challenge but we do have a fab blog button for you to display if you take part.

TTFN (time to feast now)
With love from the bears 🐻

2 comments:

  1. That all looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Pooh... it's just as well to always have "a little smackerel of something" in the larder - are you expecting guests?!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our blog. We read and treasure each and every one and always try to return visits. Please don't post spam, it will be deleted as bears much prefer chocolate! :)