We blog, we bake.
We craft, we create.

Friday 25 January 2013

Horace's Background Tutorial

Hello there, it's your favourite bear blogger, Horace here, I'm giving a tutorial to a willing and rapt audience!!

I'm taking inspiration from one of my favourite crafters, Dyan Reavely, and following her background tutorial on Youtube. Don't let the other bears know this though, they think I'm naturally creative!


As with any journal creation. I started with a blank page. After spreading a wipe clean mat over our very light duvet cover, I chose 3 Dylusions mists; Bubblegum Pink, Vibrant Turquoise and Squeezed orange.

First, I spritzed my blank page with water, then sprayed my mists in lovely big blotches randomly on one side of the double page.


I spritzed a little more water, to allow for blending, then closed my book, to spread the inks to the opposite page. I find a good way to do this is to use the book as a seat.


After opening up the book, I had a lovely double spread of cool colour. I dabbed off the excess ink with kitchen roll.


Voila. A (very) basic background.


Next, i opened the lovely new Dylusions alphabet stencil purchased at the bears favourite craft shop- Papermaze, and spritzed through it in random places, onto the misted background. I carefully took the mask away from the page, and pressed kitchen roll into the stencilled area.


This lends a ghosting effect to the page, which I love.


I repeated this on the opposite side then dried the page with a heat gun, I then spritzed once again through the stencil, this time using Turquoise mist.


To the basic background I added some journalling in alphabet and number stamps, and some random images, which were Paperartsy stamps sent from a lovely friend for Christmas.


To make the journalling really stand out, I paw-drew around the lettering in white gel pen.

I was so pleased with my tutorial, and finished page, that I couldn't wait to show my interested audience.......oh!



Never mind, you can have a close up instead. Make Every Day Count, by Horace.





With love from the bears.

6 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL - such gorgeous colours and I love your technique :-) I must try this. I really like the white pen round the letters - makes them pop well !! Such a shame the other Guys fell asleep...... No class eh ?!!!
    Beary Hugz
    IKE xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial, Horace... don't worry all geniuses are unappreciated in their own time - your fellow bears are just jealous! Fabulous pages, and the water-bleaching effect is so cool.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's brilliant. I really must try some of these techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tutorial, I haven't tried that technique so I will have a go at it! Love the finished journal pages, great sentiment! Thanks for visiting my blog, waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! Is such an awesome page. I don't have the dylusions sprays and the water effect is stunning! - wonder if I can do that with something else!!! xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've tried it with distress inks and watercolour crayons with varying effects,not quite as pronounced as with the Dylusions but it does still work, half the fun is playing around with your stuff. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our blog. We read and treasure each and every one and always try to return visits. Please don't post spam, it will be deleted as bears much prefer chocolate! :)